Sunday, February 23, 2014

Fraction Review

I saw this great post on the blog http://www.teachingwithtaskcards.com/2014/02/using-task-cards-in-interactive.html and decided that this would be a great way to use the worksheet that was to be independent practice for one of our fraction lessons.

I used the worksheet and retyped each question or problem into a table so that students would have eight small problems to glue into their math journal.  I hoped that the eight little problems would look less daunting to my students than a full worksheet page.  I guided students as to how to place and glue the "task cards" into their notebook and then explained how they would record their work. This is what they looked like after they completed each "task card".





Students worked with their partner to complete each task card.  Once again I heard some great math talk.  The problems on the left hand side of the notebook were comparing and ordering fractions.  The tasks on the right hand side were word problems.  I quickly realized that many students did not understand how to do one of the problems so we took a break and worked on that problem as a whole class.

This was a great way to use a worksheet in a new and more engaging way.  Thanks again to Mary from http://www.teachingwithtaskcards.com for the great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment